Monday, October 02, 2006

^DRM is crap^

Note:this was taken from a previous post on my earlier blog.

The other day I went to WalMart and bought a Music Gift Card. I went home and redeemed it, and downloaded the songs that I wanted. Now here comes the fun part. When I opened the songs, which were in WMA format, they executed something in Windows Media Player that made them retrieve Licenses off of the WalMart site. All went well when I found that I could only, among other things, burn them to CDs a set number of times. This was tolerable, knowing that I could rip them license-free from the CD that I was about to burn. The thing that REALLY pissed me off was that the last song wouldn't give me the license and therefore wouldn't play. DRM, or Digital Rights Management, is to blame. Basically, I believe,that if I am paying good money to them, without limits on how they spend the money, I should get good music from them (the download site, artist's site, etc.) without restrictions. The argument that DRM will stop piracy is wrong. There is no technology, wether in hardware or software, that someone hasn't hacked or broken into. This said, why should DRM be any different? Also, I've noticed, is when a file sharing network (P2P) gets killed by the large corporations and Hollywood, even more pop up. E.G. Napster, then Kazaa, now limewire, morpheus, and others. The process will continue, regardless of how many rights are stolen from us, the consumer.
Drop me a line to tell me what you think.

No comments: