Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Having an accent.

I grew up in the South. This may come as a shock to you, because I seem so laid-back and haven't mentioned anything about Southern ways or politics or anything. I'm saying this because it pertains to my having an accent. Some think that I have a very noticeable accent, but I cannot see it. I have one in some words that I pronounce, however for the most part, I sound like I could be from anywhere. this is strange, because most of my friends have noticeable accents, yet I do not. Last year I went to visit a college in Washington that specializes in engineering, and I tried an experiment. While I was eating lunch at the cafeteria, I said a southern word as I left. When I took my tray to the garbage, I said, "bye, Y'all." They freaked out. That's the only indication that I was southern in any way, aside from the fact that I said that I was from Texas. Besides that, I left no linguistic (big word, I know!!) traces that I had any accent. It blew their minds, however.

I apologize for the lack of content, but I was originally gonna write about something, but I forgot about it, then I was going to write about Pandora, but I found that I had already posted about that. I kind of did this in the spur of the moment, that's all. However, I have not regrets because, after all, this is my blog.

No comments: