Friday, September 14, 2007

Far from Home

This is the farthest I've ever been from home.

I'm flying in an airplane to Seattle, and taking another flight to Walla Walla, where I will be going to college for the next 3 or 4 years.

I went to school in Texas, where I live.  The farthest I've been from home for a whole 9 or 10 months is 4 hours.  And that's not including my dad's house, 1 hour away.  I've been up here once before, but we didn't have a connecting flight.  Just straight to Pasco, near Walla Walla. 

So this is it.  Going away to college.  I had to pack all my stuff in 2 bags and a backpack.  Needless to say, I will have to buy some things while I'm in Walla Walla.  I am, however, glad that my dad is going with me. 

Distances aren't what they used to be.

Just years ago, going away to college meant never seeing and rarely talking to your college-student relative.  Now, with email, IM, SMS, cellular, and a host of other abbreviated devices, communicating, just talking, to a far-away college student isn't hard at all anymore. 

Hopefully, I will be able to keep in touch with family and friends back home on a regular basis.

No comments: